Wednesday 13 May 2015

Good day.
First, allow me to apologise for being the worst blogger in the world (with possible exceptions from North Korea).  The fact of the matter is, I find it difficult to write blogs because they end up with me talking about shit people don't care about, or I'm just having a whinge about things that annoy me.

On the other hand, I want to practice writing. Therefore, I need to grasp the opportunity of the blog to refine my skills.  But what can I talk about that is interesting to everyone? My travels over this beautiful earth? The time I got delayed for 8 hours at Abu Dhabi airport? My students? No. I need to think of a more universal theme......

Movies.

Everyone loves movies. Everyone has favourites and everyone has those they despise. Everyone, most importantly, has an opinion.

We all love good movies (depending, entirely, on your definition of 'good'). We all love Jaws. We all love Star Wars. We all love Die Hard (if you don't, then you should probably give up on life right now...).  The medium of cinema has entertained us for years and has produced some of the most striking examples of art in recent history.

It has, however, produced shit. And this brings me to my point.....

The IMDb has produced a list of the bottom 100 movies of all time.
I am proud to say I have seen 80% of the greatest movies of all time.
But I am ashamed to say I have never seen the bottom 100.

The purpose of this blog over the next few months (possibly years) is that I will altruistically watch the worst movies ever made so that you don't have to.
I will review them and tell you an honest, no-bullshit opinion. Then you can decide if you want to watch them.

Why am I doing this? For two reasons: first, I am unimaginably bored; second, I have to write reviews for my MA, so I need the practice.

What will be examined?

There will be a number of aspects that will be considered:
1. Narrative: Does the movie make sense? Does it follow some form of arc? Is there a sodding point?
2. Acting: Is it any good? (Here I mean both A-list doing bad jobs AND z-list doing good jobs.)
3. FX: Birdemic?
4. Entertainment value: I will invent a better scale, but basically: 10 = Jurassic Park, 1 = After Earth.


Ladies and gentlemen who read my blog (and now I hope I get an audience), as we speak, number 100 is downloading.
However, the viewing order will differentiate in order to avoid any expectation.

If you want to join me on this quest then you are welcome. A friend and colleague of mine, Ian Haponiev, may offer his opinion at points - and we are more than happy to see yours.

I hope you will join us.

See you next week for Blubberella.

EtWF


No comments:

Post a Comment